Update on Restrictions Relating to Church Services from May 10 2021
Further to the Government announcement last Thursday (April 29) (www.Gov.ie), restrictions are being eased on attendance at church services. The following restrictions apply from May 10 2021:
The Department of An Taoiseach has issued a number of clarifications:
Pods of 50
Where the size of the premises/Place of Worship allows for a capacity of greater than 50 this may be permitted only where:
- social distancing guidelines are adhered to
- the premises can be subdivided into distinct sections (cordoned or marked appropriately) of not more than 50 persons in each section
- there is a minimum of 4 metres between sections
- each section having its own entrance/exit route
- there are separate arrangements for elements of the service involving close contact, for example the distribution of Holy Communion
- strictly no movement of people between sections before, during or after the service
- the premises is well–ventilated
· There is an increased risk of transmission of the virus where families and communities come together following the death of a loved one.
· Therefore numbers at funeral services (and Weddings) is capped at 50 regardless of size of premises.
· Notwithstanding the increase in numbers permitted, funerals are still considered private family events and arrangements should not be advertised in newspapers or on–line.
· Funeral services should continue to be live streamed to help reduce numbers attending.
· Attendance at wakes in private homes and at Funeral Homes remains unchanged i.e. immediate family only and people should be discouraged from queuing to pay respects.
As with previous reopening for religious service congregational singing and choir singing is not permitted.
Solo singing with accompanist is permitted subject to compliance with detailed guidance contained in HSE Covid–19 Guidance for Religious Services.
Outdoor Worship is not permitted in line with Government restrictions on organised outdoor gatherings.
Drive–in Religious Services may take placeoutside places of worship (e.g. church carpark) where all attendees remain in their vehicles and no sharing of vehicle outside of family unit.
Use of Religious premises for any other purposes/parochial activities/community meetings etc is not permitted in line with Government restrictions on organised indoor gatherings.
For further information please consult HSE COVID–19 Guidance for Religious Services V2.7 28.04.2021 available here.